5 Affordable Cell Phone Providers
Is your cell phone bill costing you hundreds of dollars every month? From expensive smartphones to high-priced data to roaming, talk, and text limits, owning a cell phone can come with incredibly high costs. The average American spent $1,188 for a year’s cell phone plan in 2018. And as costs continue to rise, you could see your bill grow even more.
While there are plenty of big-name cell phone companies that offer high-priced plans, you do have other options. There are wireless carriers with lower prices – and their plans could save you a significant amount of money. If you’re looking for a way to reduce your cell phone bill, you need to consider other options.
Check out these five cell phone providers, all offering affordable plans.
Ting is a unique cell phone provider. It doesn’t subscribe to the traditional approach – there are no plans to choose from. Instead, you pay a rate that’s dependent on your phone usage.
To use Ting’s wireless service, prices start at $6 per month, per phone line. On top of that monthly fee, you’ll also pay fees based on how you use your cell phone. For example, if you use 100 to 499 minutes each month, you’ll pay the $6 line fee and $3 for your minutes. If you send 100 to 499 text messages each month as well, you’ll pay another $3 per month.
Prices increase as you use more minutes, more text messages, and more data.
- Flexible “plans” and pricing that can be adjusted based on how much you use your phone.
- Tiered rate and service packages for talk, text messaging, and data.
- Talk, text, and data are all optional, and you can use as much or as little as you’d like.
- No charges for any services you don’t use.
2. Mint Mobile
Mint Mobile offers three different monthly plans:
- 3GB 4G LTE for $15 per month.
- 8GB 4G LTE for $29 per month.
- 12GB 4G LTE for $25 per month.
These prices are for new Mint Mobile customers. After your first three months with this carrier, your monthly price will increase to $25, $35, or $45 respectively.
- Unlimited nationwide talk and text.
- 4G LTE high-speed data, in an amount that works for your needs.
- A free SIM card when you sign up.
- Can keep your phone number as a new customer.
- Free international calls to Mexico and Canada.
- Free mobile hotspot.
- Wi-Fi calling and texting available.
- Can bring your own unlocked phone to Mint Mobile.
3. Republic Wireless
Republic Wireless offers three different plans to choose from:
- Unlimited Talk & Text for $15 per month or $150 per year.
- Unlimited Talk & Text plus 1GB of data for $20 per month or $200 per year.
- Unlimited Talk & Text plus 2GB of data for $25 per month or $250 per year.
Customers can also add extra data to their plans for just $5 per gigabyte per month, up to 15GB in total.
- Ability to add or remove extra data as needed (or if you’d like to pay less).
- No contracts.
- No hidden fees, such as activation, line access, or overage fees.
- Unlimited talk and text for all plans.
- Affordable data options.
- Nationwide coverage.
- 4G LTE data.
- 14-day risk-free trial – if you aren’t happy, you’ll get your service and device refunded.
4. U.S. Cellular
There are two ways to get affordable cell phone service with U.S. Cellular. You can choose a traditional phone plan or a prepaid plan.
U.S. Cellular’s traditional phone plans include unlimited talk, text, and streaming. Traditional phone plans include:
- Basic, which costs $30 per line per month.
- Everyday, which costs $40 per line per month.
- Even Better, which costs $50 per line per month.
U.S. Cellular’s prepaid cell phone plans come with no contract, no credit check, and no activation fees. Pricing is available in three levels:
- 5GB for $40 per month.
- Unlimited for $55 per month.
- Unlimited Plus for $65 per month.
- Unlimited talk, text, and streaming.
- Video streaming quality of either 480p SD, 720p HD, or 1080p Full HD.
- Varying levels and amounts of data and roaming capabilities.
- Hotspot access (for the top two plans).
- Potential free Redbox movie rentals.
- Either 5GB or unlimited high-speed data.
- Unlimited talk and text.
- Video streaming in 480p SD.
- Unlimited hotspot access.
Sprint offers plenty of different plans for wireless customers. However, one of the most affordable plans is the Sprint 6GB plan. This plan is priced at just $40 per month.
In order to get this specially priced plan, you need to activate a new Sprint account and purchase a new phone priced at $450 or less.
- 6GB of high-speed data, including a mobile hotspot.
- Unlimited 2G data, so if you exceed your 6GB limit you’ll simply have slower data speeds.
- Unlimited talk.
- Unlimited text.
- Unlimited international text.
How to Find a Cell Phone Plan for Your Budget
If you’re looking for a cheaper cell phone plan, you aren’t alone. Cell phone bills can total hundreds of dollars each month, and that’s just the price of buying a phone and getting a regular plan. But fortunately, there are wireless companies that offer more affordable alternatives.
Don’t sacrifice your cell service because of its cost. The cell phone providers mentioned here are just a few of the affordable options available today. To find a cell phone company that works for your budget, do your research. Search online and look for low-priced plans. Compare what they offer, and see how much value you can get for your money.
That’s the best way to ensure you aren’t overpaying for your cell phone plan or provider.